- This event has passed.
3rd Annual Faith In Reform Summit
January 28, 2017 @ 8:30 am - 2:30 pmFree
Hello, Faith in Reform friends! There are less than two months remaining until the third annual Faith in Reform Mini-Summit, which will be held at the First Unitarian Church in Salt Lake City. We are hard at work planning some very interactive and engaging discussions to benefit the work of all community members working on – or just interested in! – criminal justice reform in Utah. If you have ideas of what you’d like to hear about or talk about or network about, please email the Google Group! Send email to: [email protected].
This event is FREE but space is limited. Light breakfast & full lunch included! Reserve your spot now.
Look for 3rd Annual Faith In Reform Mini-Summit on www.Eventbrite.com.
About Faith In Reform
FAITH IN REFORM is an engaging, interactive mini-Summit to encourage and grow grassroots criminal justice reform efforts in Utah!
This event is anyone and everyone who is working for positive change in their faith community, through their professional work, as part of a community organization or even totally on their own. We don’t want this to be a traditional conference where we talk AT each other. Rather, we hope this event will offer opportunities for:
- Networking with other advocates, activists and concerned community members!
- Sharing ideas to make programs and services stronger, to better help people trapped in the criminal justice system!
- Recruiting new volunteers for your organization…or finding excellent volunteer oppotunities for yourself!
- Brainstorming through challenges in working toward reform, or working with justice-involved folks!
- Helping each other to overcome obstacles in policy, practice and culture!
- Learning how to help advocate for change at the state and local levels!
8:30 to 9:00 – Event Check-In & Refreshments
- Enjoy some breakfast treats, coffee and other goodies.
- Get your event information, including a list of other activists and organizations in attendance; and news about cool volunteer opportunities and advocacy actions.
9:00 to 9:45 – Welcome & Reports from the Community Frontlines
- Our event sponsors will welcome everyone with inspiring words.
- Participants from past “Faith in Reform” events will give updates on their progress in the last year, and give us all a sense of what is possible when good-hearted and hard-working people come together to make life better for others.
10:00 to 12:15 – Break-Out Dialogues on BIG ISSUES in criminal justice reform & services in Utah
- Legislative ACTION OPPORTUNITIES for 2017 – Learn what’s happening during the 2017 Legislative Session (including Juvenile Justice reform, ending discriminatory Good Landlord Programs, and abolishing the death penalty) and how YOU can make a difference.
- VOLUNTEERISM: Needs, Interests & Challenges – Are you looking to recruit volunteers for your program or service? Would you like to BE a volunteer in some part of the criminal justice system? This workshop is for you. We invite current and potential volunteers, as well as volunteer managers/coordinators, to come ready to share frustrations and “Lessons Learned” about working with the Department of Corrections, local county jails, state and county health/housing/other agencies, and other community groups.
- “There Should Be a Program…” – Through our work, we often encounter unique and specific needs that are very serious, yet mostly unmet through current programs and services. This will be an open conversation about ignored communities, places where people “fall through the cracks,” ideas about taking better care of people, and more.
12:30 to 1:30 – FREE Networking Lunch!
- Enjoy free refreshments while making YOUR plans to contribute to criminal justice reform in 2017.
- Be sure to collect business cards and contact info from the other activists and concerned community members you meet!
1:45 to 2:30 – Wrap-Up & Participant OPEN MIC!
- Some final reflections and “Action Step” challenges from our event sponsors.
- Your chance at the microphone to make a pitch for program volunteers, share an inspiring moment from the day, recruit other activists to your reform campaign or anything else that moves you in the moment.
We invite you to share this link with your colleagues, friends, family and partners in advocacy, so that they can join us as well. Space is VERY limited, RSVPs required.
This event is FREE and open to the public! We do encourage a donation of $5, if you can spare it, to help cover the costs of food and materials. BUT don’t let $$$ keep you away, we want you to come no matter what. You don’t need to be a person of faith, or involved with a religious community to attend “Faith in Reform.” It’s perfectly fine to just have a little faith that reform is possible when we all work together!